Project Management and Planning & Design
Office of Project Management
The Office of Project Management (OPM) is responsible for facilitating project initiation, approvals, consultant selection, planning, design, construction and close out for all Duke University new construction, renovations, infrastructure/energy upgrades and major building maintenance initiatives.
Led by Michael Dausch, Director of Project Management, the office consists of a professional staff with experience and backgrounds in planning, architecture, interior design, engineering, construction, project management and owner's representation. The office stays current with the latest sustainability initiatives and trends in the construction industry to help manage projects at Duke efficiently and effectively. We are grateful for the relationships built over the years and are proud of the distinctive buildings and landscapes, which are part of the physical surroundings that reflect our work. The office takes pride in a reputation for dedicated responsiveness, following schedules and maintaining budgets.
The Office of Project Management provides an array of services, including:
- Consultant Management
- Site Selection & Analysis
- Project Programming & Conceptual Design
- Project Budget & Approvals
- Construction Administration
- Architectural As-Built Documentation
- Sustainable Design
Office of Planning & Design
Led by Adem Gusa, the Office of Planning & Design (OPD) is reponsible for facility and campus planning as well as the design oversight of capital projects.
The Duke University Campus is unique. Most of the campus is less than 100 years old and is both historical and dynamic. Our challenge is to preserve, enhance, and maximize the campus assets in support of Duke’s mission of research, health care and education. In 2000, Duke University approved a new and dynamic Master Plan. Eight principles will guide our planning decisions into the 21st century.
- Duke is a historic and dynamic campus.
- Duke is a premier university.
- Duke includes an internationally recognized health system.
- Duke is a university in the forest.
- Duke is a collection of memorable places.
- Duke should be a walkable campus supported by an understandable circulation system.
- Duke is a community of communities.
- Duke is a citizen of Durham and the region.
- Duke is a leader in environmental stewardship.
Each new project offers a unique blend of program requirements, site constraints, design needs, budget parameters and scheduling concerns. To assist clients in making informed decisions about future projects, the Office of Project Management Planning group helps to define the primary objectives of the project, identify the specific needs of the client department and develop potential solutions. When a project is of significant size or complexity, assistance is provided in selecting an architecture/planning firm to assist in the effort.
The Office of Planning and Design consists of Planners, Architects, Landscape Architects, GIS Professionals and CAD Technicians and provides the following services:
- Capital Planning
- Space Planning
- Design Oversight
- Feasibility Studies & Test-Fits
- Building Programming
- Site Planning
- Landscape Design
- Conceptual Designs
- Illustrative Graphics
- Campus Signage & Wayfinding
- As-Built Drawing Documentation